Our application is designed to support iOS versions 10 and above.
What does it look like?
Starting with v1.23, a widget able to generate an alias email address on the go is available directly from the spotlight screen.
This is what it looks like:
It is only accessible if you are already logged in. If you are not logged in, then the widget is replaced by a link that allows you to log in directly from there.
What is it for?
This little widget is very convenient when you need an alias email address on the go. For example, imagine you are in a store and the cashier asks you for your email address to subscribe to their members’ club. No need to give your real email address in this situation since they will most probably share it with third parties and use it to send ads you may not want.
Using the widget is faster than opening the app and generating an alias from the Alias Manager: one swipe and one tap and it’s done! As always, all the emails sent to this address will be rerouted to your usual inbox and you will be able to manage the senders (and block them if you wish) from the Alias Manager.
How does it work?
- Swipe right from the primary home screen. It takes you to the “spotlight screen” (you may need to scroll down to find the widget).
- Tap on “Generate an alias email address.” An alias is generated immediately and displayed in the widget.
- Tap on the icon below the alias to copy it to the clipboard if needed (you can then send it by email, text message, etc. or even paste it in an online form). You can also show your screen to the person who is asking for your email address so they can write it down.
You’re done! Now, aliases created this way are not linked to any company, store, person at that point. You can edit it immediately by clicking on the icon or you can do it later:
- When you can get to it, go in your Alias Manager so you can give the alias a name and/or link it to the company you are providing it to.
- By default the aliases created this way are named “Widget” in your Manager. Find it in the list and tap on it.
- Tap “Edit” to edit the name and add a login URL. That way, you will be able to retrieve it from your keyboard if you ever need it to log in. Tap “Save.”
To use this shortcut, find the Privowny App icon on your Home screen and apply a “long press” to make the drop-down menu with the list of quick actions appear. You must be logged in to access this feature.